Friday, July 8, 2011

Updates

Well it has been 3 days since Soren has come into this world, and to say I am smitten would be a complete understatement. I love this little guy SO.MUCH. I thought I would provide some updates:

Going home: Soren's bilirubin levels came back borderline jaundice so today he is under the bili lights in the special care nursery for 8 hours. After the 8 hours, he will get his levels tested and if they're good, we get to go home tonight! If not, he will be under the lights overnight and we will go home tomorrow morning. We are so ready to be home. I am getting very little sleep and going stir crazy stuck in this hospital room and bed. I haven't been outside of the maternity floor for 5 days. We are looking forward to sleeping in our own bed and starting to establish our own little family routines.

Breastfeeding: Breastfeeding is going well! In the beginning, Soren needed some formula supplement because his glucose levels were low and he needed extra calories since he is a preemie. I was feeling really ill after the c-section and did get to give him so expressed colostrum. He had a really difficult time latching because he doesn't have much energy as a preemie, and my nipples are flatter. We started using a nipple shield and since then, he has been able to latch on! My milk came in http://www.blogger.com/img/blank.gifyesterday and we are once again having issues with latch because I am so engorged, but as of 2 days ago, I have been pumping and he is only receiving breast milk through bottles or my boobies :-). I am SO thankful that we are able to do this and I have received the support I needed to make this happen. I am actually pumping as I type this, thanks to my hands-free pump bra!

Momma updates: Up to delivery and afterwards, I was really really sick. I was on magnesium sulfate for 24 hours prior to delivery, and 24 hours afterwards and it was not pleasant. It causes you to lose muscle tone (from my understanding), so I couldn't look at the clock and read the time, I could barely chew my food. Getting up to go to the bathroom was very tiring. Once I got off, I began to start to feel 'nromal' again. I am still battling high blood pressure, and they said the effects of toxemia can last up to 5 weeks post-delivery. My BP initially dropped right after surgery, but the dr's knew it was only a honeymoon stage for me. As far as pain from the surgery goes, it has been great. Honestly, it's been the easiest out of everything. My incision is healing nicely and I will get the staples removed prior to going home. I am still dealing with quite a bit of edema, there's nothing I can do to get it to go down but continue to stay hydrated. I am very weak, and will continue to be limited in my activities for up to 6 weeks. I will not be able to carry anything heavier than So-man, so I will not be able to take him any where by myself (due to carseat weight). This makes me sad, but I will do whatever I need to, to be the best momma I can be.

I have been dealing with some emotional concerns lately. My anxiety seems to be out-of-control (thanks hormones), and I am not able to fall asleep. My body feels so tired, I fall asleep during nursing and such, but the minute I try to lay down and actually sleep, my mind goes nuts. Last night Soren needed to do his carseat testing for 2 hours overnight. I could.not.sleep. I paced the hallways, tried laying in bed, sat in the rocking chair, etc. When the nurse brought him back I asked for Vistaryl, which is a sleep-aid. The nurse took him for another 2 hours and I was able to kinda-sorta sleep. Please tell me this gets better. I don't know the last time I was in R.E.M. sleep.

Daddy updates: Daddy LOVES Soren. He is so great with him, it just melts my heart. In the beginning he would not leave Soren's side when he was in the NICU. He helps out with feedings, is a great encourager for breastfeeding, and has the special 'daddy touch' that Soren adores. He has a special way of soothing Soren that I, nor anyone else, seems to compete with. Daddy has been a trooper and is sleeping on the ridiculous 'couch' in the room since Sunday. He is also very excited about getting home to his own bed.

Blogger isn't let me upload more pictures, but I will do so from home soon.

2 comments:

  1. Sounds like things are going pretty well! Thank you for the update--I've been thinking of you so much! Honestly, it might be quite awhile til you experience REM sleep. For real. Welcome to motherhood. But as for the nerves, I do hope that calms down and you find a way to help you sleep when you can, cuz you'll need every bit you can get!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh and I don't know if you've tried this yet, but to help your nipples come out more making it easier for latch on, you could try pumping for just a little bit before a feeding and THEN trying latch-on. That might help??

    ReplyDelete