Tuesday, October 2, 2012

My (Momma) Mission Statement

I will preface this post by saying I'm sorry I've been away for so long, life gets more and more busy as Soren becomes more of a toddler. I hope to get back into blogging more regularly. In my silly head I felt that in order to come back and write, I would need to 'catch up' on everything...silly me, there are no 'rules' for blogging and the beauty of it is that I get to do what I want with it. So I will start back up with my Mission Statement as a momma.

Soren recently started in a parent-child ECFE class that is one morning a week. The class is for kids ages 12-24 months and the big goal of the class for this year to assist kids and parents with separation. The first hour of the class is spent with open play time, circle-time songs, and snack, then parents go into a separate room for an hour to talk about different parenting topics while the kiddos stay in the room. This last week in our parenting group we discussed how parenting is often like planning for and going on a trip...there is much planning involved, unexpected detours and stops, disagreements between which way to turn, and of course some beauty and fun along the way. We then were challenged to identify a personal 2-3 sentence mission statement for parenting which will be our 'roadmap' of sorts.  I believe my mission statement went a little something like this:

"As a mother, I want my son to know that he is always loved and the power of love in humanity. I want my son to be accepting of others from different backgrounds and beliefs and advocate for those who are oppressed. And as my son grows older, I want him to gain the tools necessary to make his own decisions and resolve conflicts within himself and with others."

It's loaded, I know. This was a great exercise for me to do because in my head I thought that Soren is still so young to begin teaching him things, but largely he will learn through observation of my own actions. Wow.

No comments:

Post a Comment