Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Frustrated

I took Soren in for his 2 month appointment yesterday (even though he's 7 weeks and it's a bit early). He only weighed 8 lbs. 2 oz., his ped. said he needed to be at least 8 lbs. 8 oz. So now we're back to a bottle a day of thickened formula. I explained to her that he's eating constantly, my supply seems plentiful now, but he continues to spit up so. much. Some feedings he does great, but then there's feedings he projectile spits up most of his feedings. I'm beginning to feel drained and frustrated. Why? Why is he not gaining weight? Why is my milk not good enough for him? What am I doing wrong?

2 comments:

  1. Oh honey, I'm so sorry you're feeling so discouraged right now! Hannah used to projectile spit up one ENTIRE feeding every. single. day. until I don't know when. She all of a sudden just grew out of it around 2 months, 4 months, I don't know. I hated it, because it was often while I was nursing or right after and it blasted all over me, all over the couch every single time. We finally learned to cover the couch with a towel first! And I learned to pack an extra outfit for ME in the car when we went places just in case. You could try cutting out dairy, giving time for your system and his to completely flush out. You could MAKE sure he's propped up well for an hour following a feeding. What we had to do with Eli (I think it was him since he was bottle fed) was to STOP mid-feeding and burp him, otherwise he'd potentially spit-up a LOT of the bottle. But I guess that's already pretty natural to do while breastfeeding anyway, burping in between boobs. There's no clear answer. There never is. Talk with a lactation consultant again. She can weigh before and after a feeding and know what he's getting and will monitor his weight gain along the way too. Don't be discouraged! Focus on his other developments and if he's happy or not!

    ReplyDelete
  2. My friend found out her milk was equivalent to skim milk. Maybe even though he is eatting round the clock maybe your milk isn't rich enough for his little body. My son was allergic to corn and could only have formula that was in liquid form (powdered formulas have a corn stabilizer in it). I tried every bottle but found playtex drop ins worked the best, lactose free formula in liquid form and keeping him propped up for 20-30 mins after a feed. It helped keep him from vomiting so much. Try not to beat yourself up over this. Your doing a fantastic job!

    ReplyDelete