Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Anxiety

The thought of me starting work in five days is overwhelming, and I'm really starting to freak out. Before I had a child, I saw new parents' reluctance and fear of leaving their child as normal, and understandable and that everything would be okay. I wish the old self could talk some sense into my new self. Let's start off with some things that I am anxious about:

1. Sleep. Right now Soren goes to sleep around 10, and I usually stay up for a couple hours afterwards. I am attempting to get myself to sleep by 11 now, but that gives me one hour to get everything I need to get done before he goes to bed. Then he wakes up at 4ish to eat, then nurses and sleeps every hour after that. That's a 5-hour stretch folks. And I will be needing to wake up at 6am every morning to be out the door by 7. I could try and get him to sleep earlier, but changing a baby's nighttime sleep habits is no easy task. I REALLY need to figure out how to get him to go back to sleep after his 4am feed and stay asleep for at least another 3 hours. What I would REALLY REALLY like is to know how to keep him asleep for the entire night without that 4am feed. But baby steps, baby steps.

2. Morning routine. I have always been one to roll out of bed, wash my hair in the sink (or shower the night before), and be out the door in 15 minutes, if it meant I had more time to sleep. Long-gone are those days it seems. After meeting with the Lactation consultant, we think I need to pump in the morning before leaving. And shower. And eat breakfast. And get ready. Thank the high heavens I don't have to add getting Soren ready on top of that. People do it all the time, yes, but this is still a big transition for me. I am a night-owl by nature, and have never been an early-morning person.

3. Preparing caregivers. Does the fact that I want to type up a "Soren's quirks tip sheet" for our caregivers make me sound like a crazy lady? Seriously, I am considering it. Things that would be on it are how to heat up breastmilk, how much, his sleep and eating patterns, how to do cloth diapers, how to get him to sleep, etc. What do you think? Silly or Genius?

4. Pumping at work. Uffda. Sounds so simple, but there's so much planning involved. Like what kind of professional clothes can I wear to allow me to wear my hands free pump bandeau bra? Where will I pump? Where will I store the milk? Will I have the time to pump? Will I make enough milk? Will I continue to be able to make enough milk? I am committed to doing it, the question is, how?

5. Food. Oh boy, meal-planning. Need to go grocery shopping and try and remind myself of all the convenient on-the-go breakfast items, things I can bring for lunch, easy dinners, etc.

I have to admit, typing this out did help decrease my anxiety some, which is good. Seriously if you have any words of advice, encouragement, etc., please leave a comment. My head is spinning and I'm emotional about leaving him on top of everything else.

2 comments:

  1. I know I'm not a parent but i'll advise on what i can. A tip sheet for caregivers is helpful. My sister does this for my niece ....she calls it "a day in the life" helps so that caregivers know the routine and all the quirks. And ultimately makes her feel better knowing that all her knowledge of her baby is shared with those caring for her precious little one. Hope this helps! - Athena

    ReplyDelete
  2. Multi-task, my friend. It'll take awhile but you'll figure out a good pattern and order of doing things. In the morning shower, pump/eat breakfast. I've even done makeup while pumping.

    DO the "quirks" list, that will be so helpful to the caregiver. Although he MAY respond completely different for her.

    Don't worry so much about pumping clothes. Any clothes will do. I always sat cross-legged somewhat hunched over so the bottles leaned against my legs and I had my hands free. You can go to a bathroom for privacy. Or the car (using nursing cover). And eat lunch while you do it. Your pump machine should have a little cooler with it to store bottles, or use a larger cooler (like lunch box type). And yes, meal planning is ALWAYS helpful. Don't forget easy stuff like ham steaks or lil' smokies or pre-cooked chicken on a salad or in a Caesar wrap. Use your crockpot! And breathe.... you'll figure it out!

    ReplyDelete